Northwest Florida renters may apply for FEMA assistance
PENSACOLA — Renters in Bay, Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton counties whose homes and property were damaged by Hurricane Sally can apply for federal disaster assistance.
FEMA Individual Assistance is available to renters, including students, as well as homeowners. Federal grants can help pay for temporary housing.
The initial rental grant is for a 60-day period and can be reviewed for further assistance. The registration deadline is Dec. 1, 2020.
Renters may also qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and other disaster-related expenses.
These may include:
- Replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies.
- Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed.
- Primary vehicles.
- Medical and dental bills.
Survivors in Bay, Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton counties can register with FEMA in the following ways:
- Visit DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Download the FEMA App.
- Call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY) from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time. Multilingual operators are available. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, InnoCaption or CapTel should provide FEMA with their specific phone number assigned to that service.
- Visit a Mobile Registration Intake Center.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help Florida renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles. Renters may be eligible for up to $40,000, depending on their losses. The application deadline is Dec. 1, 2020.
Applicants may apply online using SBA’s secure website at https://DisasterLoanAssistance.sba.gov, or email FOCE-Help@SBA.gov for more information on SBA disaster assistance.
For additional information about SBA disaster loans, the loan application process, or for help completing the SBA application, visit SBA’s secure website at https://DisasterLoanAssistance.sba.gov.
Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 800-877-8339.
For more information about Hurricane Sally recovery in Florida, visit the FEMA disaster webpage at www.fema.gov/disaster/4564.