BONIFAY — A man known only as John Doe has been flown to a burn center in Georgia after a Saturday night fire that destroyed the mobile home where he was staying. 

The man had serious burns on his body as well as in his airway, according to Asst. Fire Chief Travis Cook with Bonifay Fire Rescue.

A second man living in the mobile home survived without injury. He told first responders that the fire broke out in the other man's bedroom, which was at the opposite end of the home.

The burned man made his way to his housemate's room and woke him up. The two escaped through the back door of the home.

When crews arrived, the injured man was lying in the yard and flames were coming out of all of the windows of the home, Cook said.

The man was flown by helicopter to a hospital in Dothan and transferred to a burn unit Sunday morning. Cook said that when he called to check on the victim's status, hospital staff referred to him as John Doe and said that he was in critical but stable condition.

The fire initially appears to be electrical, Cook said, but remains under investigation.

Jason Van Avery, who was staying in a nearby mobile home, said that the two men were in the area doing roofing after Hurricane Michael.

Cook said there was a language barrier, but that a translator was there to help them communicate.

Bonifay Fire Rescue was the only fire department on scene. Holmes County EMS treated the men, while the Bonifay Police Department assisted at the scene.