Single mother says community's help 'a true blessing' following house fire

Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

She returned to a home ablaze.  

"I turned it (the stove) on, I gathered up my clothes .... I literally walked two doors down, threw my clothes in the washer and came back to my house, in a two- or three-minute span of time," she said.

A Crestview Fire Department news release referred to the incident as an "accidental stove cooking fire" that caused about $75,000 in property damage and $10,000 in damage to contents.

First responders from the Crestview Fire Department, North Okaloosa Fire District and Eglin Air Force Base Fire Department responded to the scene.

But prior to that, Robert's inner hero emerged.

"My 11-year-old, he manned up that night ... He was running to different apartments and getting fire extinguishers," Jennifer said. "I don't know where he learned to do that. I'm truly blessed ... We definitely had God on our side that night."

The family is moving into an apartment near the burned building. Red Cross funding allowed them to stay at Comfort Inn in Crestview through Monday



1 2 3 4
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top
 

Local Faves