Guide to locals' nicknames for North Okaloosa landmarks

Published: Monday, January 6, 2014 at 15:52 PM.

MAR-CAMP: The longtime watering hole west of town on U.S. Highway  90 was originally a family-friendly recreation place, but later gained infamy as such a rowdy watering hole, the sheriff's office had a dedicated phone number to report troubles at the establishment.

It later became Keye’s Lounge, but its reputation remained intact. Now it's a mattress store.

MRS. KOLANOWSKI'S HOUSE: Today's Wild Olive Restaurant is in Mrs. Rosalyn Kolanowski's old home on the corner of Pearl Street and Hickory Avenue.

OWC: Okaloosa-Walton Junior College’s name was changed to Northwest Florida State College in July 2008, but long-time locals will always call it OWC, or just OW.

THE QUARTERS: The residential neighborhood of Laurel Hill on Old Ebenezer Road west of Gene Clary Park. The woods north and west of The Quarters were where "the squirrels were cooking supper," an old foresters' euphemism for telltale smoke from moonshine operations.

RADIO VALLEY: On south State Road 85, right before P.J. Adams Parkway, was the broadcasting tower for WCNU, Crestview's first radio station that signed on in 1948.

Sam Townsend, who ran the station, had his home near there. The station's studio was in a store across Main Street from present-day Desi's Restaurant.



1 2 3 4
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top
 

Local Faves