SHALIMAR — A number of Okaloosa County fifth-graders were honored Monday for winning the Kids Tag Art Award of Distinction.
Two students from each of the 11 participating schools were honored at the School Board meeting with certificates and a decorative front license plate (tag) with their art printed on it.
Two students received special honor for their artwork. Sara Kapp of Shalimar Elementary School won the tax collector's choice award. Angel Sluka of Lewis Middle School won an award called Heart Smart Art for demonstrating heart-healthy living in her artwork.
Tax Collector Ben Anderson said he will keep Kapp's tag on his vehicle until another tax collector's choice winner is announced next year.
Each participating school also received $1,000 from Kids Tag Art program sponsors.
The Kids Tag Art program is a partnership between the Tax Collector's Office and the School District. The program has contributed $46,7423 to participating schools since 2013.
As an art project, the program gives students a chance to create their own specialty license plate. As a fundraiser, those student-created plates can be purchased by parents and the public. All proceeds from all school sales stay in that school.
Combining in-school sales and local sponsorships, the Kids Tag Art program earned $15,794 this year.
"This is non-tax generated revenue and comes at a time when money for art curriculum is hard to find," Anderson said. "In the coming weeks we will be delivering $1,000 checks to each participating school, double what we delivered last year."
Statewide, the Kids Tag Art program has generated more than $1 million for elementary schools.
Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet will recognize Kids Tag Art for the achievement May 15.
Here are the award winners:
• Bluewater Elementary: Meridian Sobel and Rosie Bentley
• Bob Sikes Elementary: Katherine George and Mary Murray
• Edge Elementary: Zachary Yeager and Tenley George
• Elliott Point: Marcela Ocegueda Gonzales and Landyn Frizzelle
• Florosa Elementary: Evangelina Jurado and Merrick Svitenko
• Lewis Middle: Madison Dillan and Emily Homan
• Liza Jackson Preparatory: Sofia Negron and Paityn Griffith
• Northwood Elementary: Faith Anderson and Kaitlyn McDonald
• Riverside Elementary: Jocelin Cardenas and Tara Cleary
• Shalimar Elementary: Naomy Cardoza and Sara Kapp
Walker Elementary: Raven Griffith and Cadance Strickland