Okay, here we go with the Conference Playoffs, with the teams win-lost to help everyone pick. "Hail to the Victors"
Here are your nine picks for the week plus a tiebreaker.
1. Central Florida (UCF) Knights (11-0) vs. Memphis Tigers (10-1), American Athletic Conference: If this game is anything like last week it’s a game to watch; high-scoring game. Knights by 3.
2. Clemson Tigers (10-1) vs. Miami Hurricanes (10-1) Atlantic Coast Conference: The Hurricanes are looking for an upset here and they just might pull it off. Clemson is looking at the final four and forgot Miami by 6.
3. Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-2) vs. Oklahoma Sooners (10-1) Big 12 Conference: a lot of hopping going on here as the TCU hops right over Oklahoma Frogs by 4.
4. Ohio State Buckeyes (10-2) vs. Wisconsin Badgers (12-0) Big 10 Conference: Badgers need not worry about being ignored all season long after the they put the Buckeyes back on the bus. Wisconsin by 12.
5. Florida Atlantic Owls (9-3) vs. North Texas Mean Green Machine (9-3) USA Conference: Quite a turnaround for the Owls but do they have it when it counts up against Mean Machine? Somehow, they do it. Owls by 7.
6. Toledo Rockets (10-2) vs. Akron Zips (7-5) Mid-American Conference: I’ll have to go with the rockets on this one. All I can find is very impressive for their conference. Toledo by 12.
7. Auburn War Eagles (10- 2) vs. George Dawgs (11-1) Southeastern Conference: a bit of de-ja vu; the last meeting was 40-17 Auburn. Can they do it again? Ah, don’t be looking at the final four; right through your hand goes the game. It should and could be the game of the week. Dawgs by 3.
8. Troy Trojans (9-2) vs. Arkansas State Red Wolves (7-3) Sun Belt Conference: Hey, if you can knock off LSU then you can win your Conference: Troy by 10.
9. Stanford Cardinal (8-3) vs. USC Trojans (10-2) Pac 12 Conference (Friday, Dec. 1 night game ESPN Special). I smell an upset in the making here; very close game, but I think USC by 1.
Tiebreaker: Dec. 9 at Philadelphia — Navy Naval Academy Midshipmen (6-5) vs. Army West Point Black Knights (8-3). This is for the Military Prestigious Commander Trophy plus bragging rights up to next year’s game.
Army last year went to the Heart of Dallas Bowl and beat North Texas; this year they beat Navy by 10 and go to another bowl with a 9-3 season and the Commander Trophy.
Bill Everett is a member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart and lives in the Baker area.