We all know coaches and schools schedule games two to four years in advance looking at a win for — and easy for their team, a TV spotlight — what is going to get the most money for the school. Yes, we all understand that.
We also know the month of October from the first to the 30th is when all the spooky, grim goblins, black cats and witches are hiding in the dark shadows, along with all the horrible things you can imagine will happen to you until the 31st, when Halloween is over.
With all that information, why then would you tempt the hand of faith by scheduling an October game on Friday the 13th? Ask the staff at No. 2 Clemson, who lost to Syracuse. Or ask the staff at No. 8 Washington State, who also lost to California this past Friday night, Oct. 13.
Here are your 10 picks for the week plus a tie breaker for Oct. 21.
1. Boston College Eagles vs. Virginia Cavaliers: The Eagles pulled it out last Saturday. Can they do it again? Virginia clips the Eagles' wings by 10.
2. Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Duke Blue Devils: The Blue Devils, who fell asleep at the wheel, can still salvage a good bowl game, and it starts here with a win over the Panthers by 20.
3. Louisville Cardinals vs. Florida State Seminoles: Florida State came up with a win and they now feel they are on the same level as Louisville. Not really. Cardinals by 12.
4. Syracuse Orangemen vs. Miami Hurricanes: Miami has another Hurricane coming to town and they called it Syracuse. Orangemen by 6.
5. Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: It's a homecoming game for Georgia Tech, who will win by 13.
6. Tennessee Volunteers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide (Train): It’s the dreaded third Saturday in October and all the Vols fans are not looking forward to this game. Don’t look for many at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Crimson Tide with no mercy by 30 plus.
7. Auburn War Eagles vs. Arkansas Razorbacks: Both teams lost and are looking to regroup. War Eagles by 3.
8. LSU Tigers vs. Ole Mississippi Rebels: LSU pulls it out again over the Rebels by 12.
9. Kentucky Wildcats vs. Mississippi State: A Kentucky win here clinches a bowl game for the Wildcats. They do it by 21.
10. Missouri Tigers vs. Idaho Vandals, from Moscow Idaho: Wow! You would think the Tigers had an easy win here, but this one is too scary. Who is going against someone out of Moscow called the Vandals and three nights before Halloween? Idaho by 3.
Tie Breaker: Michigan Wolverines vs. Penn State Nittany Lions: This game should be called the game of the week with so many repercussions coming out on a win or lose. I pick Penn State. They're back, and it’s business as usual by 10.
Next week is full of nothing but tricks or treats for Halloween. This past weekend five top teams in the Associated Press Ranking fell out of the top 10. What witch's brew is in store for the other teams this coming weekend? "The shadow knows!"
Bill Everett is a member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart and lives in the Baker area.