Have you ever noticed how the best always rises to the top? Well, here in the top 10, not much has changed other than Florida State dropping out of it, and everyone else moving up one or two spots.
What an upset with Maryland over Texas — both Texas and Florida. State should have opened with someone from the Conference USA — you know, for a sure win. Well, it seems that both Florida and State are out of the National Championship Title running and that Alabama, Clemson are the big picks from here on out, but they are looking over their shoulders at Georgia, LSU, Virginia Tech, Duke — yes, Duke!
Here are your 10 picks for the week plus a tiebreaker for Sept. 9:
1. Marshall Thundering Herd vs. N.C. State Wolfpack — here we have the movie (“We Are Marshall”), the underdog that everyone loves to cheers for, but the Wolfpack pull it out by 3.
2. Wake Forest Demon Deacon vs. Boston College Eagles — the Eagles get their wings clipped by the Demon Deacons by 7.
3. Auburn War Eagles vs. Clemson Tigers — the War Eagles forgot their war paint, Clemson Tigers by 14.
4. Northwestern Wildcat vs. Duke Blue Devils — The Wildcats are not a pushover type team but are not plays as they usually do, Blue Devils by 6.
5. Louisville Cardinals vs. North Carolina Tar Heels — Cardinals can make the football fly up and down the field, Louisville by13.
6. Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions — so early for an interstate rivalry with these Two Cats, but Nittany Lions make it look easy, Penn. State. by 21
7. TCU Horned Frogs vs. Arkansas Razorbacks — this is one of those games that these two teams are so much alike that this could be the game to watch, Horned Frogs by 1
8. George Bulldogs vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish — Hey Bulldogs, want to be the only contender for the SEC Championship, here’s your big test… not so fast; this is a close game, but George wins by 3
9. South Carolina Gamecocks vs. Missouri Tigers — wonder if the Gamecocks are still in last year’s mood? Win one, lose one win one lose one? Don’t think so, South Carolina by 10
10. Miss. State Bulldogs vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs — who let dogs out; big dog fight with Miss State with the biggest bite by 12
Oklahoma Sooners vs. Ohio State Buckeyes — last week both teams had a good showing. Sooners over UTEP WOW! I’m impressed but not as much as Ohio St. over Indiana — Buckeyes win this by 10.
Bill Everett is a member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart and lives in the Baker area.