CRESTVIEW — The first "B" in the Triple B Festival stands for Blackwater. Area students may interpret the nearby river in "The First B" art poster contest held in conjunction with this year's festival.
The Crestview Area Chamber of Commerce Arts and Culture committee, the contest sponsor, asks student artists, "How do you see the Blackwater? History? Nature? Recreation?"
Elementary, middle or high school students at any north Okaloosa County school may enter. Prizes will be awarded in the three grade-level categories.
North county resident students who are home schooled or attend Collegiate High School or a private school are also eligible, committee chairwoman Rae Schwartz said.
"The Blackwater River component of 'Triple-B' isn't usually included in the festival," Schwartz said. "This contest is an opportunity for our great student artists to make this historic waterway part of the event."
"... Let your imagination flow like the Blackwater River!"
All entries, due March 21, will be exhibited during the March 29 Blackwater, Bluegrass and Barbecue festival on Main Street, Schwartz said. Winners will be announced during the event.
Prizes, donated by the Okaloosa County Teachers Federal Credit Union, are $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place in each of the three categories.
All north Okaloosa County elementary, middle and high school students can participate in the Crestview Area Chamber of Commerce Arts and Culture Committee's "The First B" Triple B student art poster contest.
Guidelines are as follows:
• All entries must be original artwork by the student entrant and must incorporate the artist's interpretation of the Blackwater River.
• Only one entry per student is allowed
• Posters must be 8 1/2 by 11 inches and may be produced in any medium.
• The student artist's name, school, grade and teacher's name must be written on the back of the poster.
• Homeschooled students, Collegiate High School and private school students who live north of the Shoal River in Okaloosa County must write their name, grade, home address, phone and email contact information on the back of their entries.
• First-, second- and third-place winners will be chosen in each of the three categories: elementary (kindergarten through fifth grades), middle (sixth through eighth grades) and high school (ninth through 12th grades).
• Posters must be received by March 21 by mail or in person at the Crestview Area Chamber of Commerce, 1447 Commerce Drive, Crestview FL 32539-6944.
Contact Arts and Culture Committee chairwoman Rae Schwartz, email@example.com or 585-5672, for more details.