EXTENSION CONNECTION: Reporting problems with a food product

Published: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

●The store’s name and location, and the date that you purchased the product.

You can complain to the store or the product's manufacturer if you don't choose to make a formal complaint to the USDA.

See a physician if you think you are ill.

If an injury or illness results from use of a meat or poultry product, tell the hotline staff about the symptoms, time of occurrence and name of attending health professional, if applicable.

Of course, if you sense there's a problem with any food product, don't consume it. "When in doubt, throw it out."

Source: Safe Food Handling Fact Sheets, United States Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service

Brenda Smith is with the Okaloosa County Extension office in Crestview.

1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top

Local Faves

Tonight in Prime Time