Safety presentation energizes Walker students

Published: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

One common danger is youngsters sticking things into electrical outlets, Campbell said.

"The voltage in your house can hurt you," he said. "I'm not an expert, but I don't think there's peanut butter and jelly in the wall. Don't stick a butter knife in the socket."

As Campbell maneuvered small figurines of "Neon Leon" and "Lightning Liz" into position, Donald explained that "electricity needs a path. Don't be that path."

Liz lit up when she came into contact with the model's electrical field. When Campbell pushed Leon to her "rescue," he, too, illuminated, demonstrating how someone touching a person who's being electrocuted can become energized themselves.

Responding to Campbell's question, students identified the No. 1 reason for power outages.

"Squirrels," Jacob Nelson said.

Campbell said one squirrel once got into an area power substation, shorted the equipment and knocked out power to 5,600 customers.



1 2 3
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top
 

Local Faves